Le 11/07/2020 à 20:49, Kornel Benko a écrit :
Am Sat, 11 Jul 2020 20:15:26 +0200
schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org>:

Le 11/07/2020 à 20:08, Kornel Benko a écrit :
Cmake does not have a maintainer mode (and I do not understand its
consequences).

Indeed, forget about this one.

I can try to change the behaviour to what you like. As of now,
very little depends on release. Most settings are independent.
But in automake one can also for instance create the release version
together with stdlib-debug or --disable-optimization (am I mistaken?)

The idea is that configuring the build should pick a good set of
options. One should be able to run a plain cmake in default cases.

The set of options is as follows. One can see the build types as option
profiles. Excerpt from INSTALL file:

                        release   prerelease  development profiling gprof
      optimization        -O2         -O2         -O         -O2     -O2
      assertions                       X           X
      stdlib-debug                                 X
      warnings                         X           X
      debug                            X           X           X       X
      maintainer-mode                              X

      The defaults are as follows in terms of version number
      release: stable release (2.x.y)
      prerelease: version number contains `alpha', `beta', `rc' or `pre'.
      development: version number contains `dev'.

      The `profiling' build type uses the -fno-omit-frame-pointer option
with gcc

      The `gprof' build type compiles and links with -pg option with gcc.

JMarc

How would stable bug-fixing fit in this schema?

In this scheme, 2.3.5dev is development, like 2.4.0dev is development. Only 2.3.5 would be a release.