On 18/09/2020 6:39 pm, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Am Freitag, den 18.09.2020, 17:53 +1200 schrieb Andrew Parsloe:
I notice when creating a title for a number of columns in a formal
table
that the \cmidrule command is needlessly duplicated:

\begin{tabular}{ccccc}
\toprule
   & \multicolumn{4}{c}{title}\tabularnewline
\cmidrule{2-5} \cmidrule{3-5} \cmidrule{4-5} \cmidrule{5-5}
x & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4\tabularnewline
\midrule
1 & b & l & a & h\tabularnewline
2 & b & l & a & h\tabularnewline
\bottomrule
\end{tabular}

Although the table compiles without problems, \cmidrule{2-5}
suffices.
Please post a minimal example file.

Jürgen

I've attached a mwe. I created a 2 row, 3 column table, changed to Formal Style, cleared the internal rules (leaving top and bottom rules), then joined the 2nd and 3rd cells of the top row using the button on the table toolbar. Now clicking the lower border button with the cursor in the combined cell produces the duplicate \cmidrule commands (as viewed in the Code Preview Pane).

Andrew