I'm hoping that people will focus their energies mostly on bug-fixing
for the 2.4.0 release. But I understand that that isn't as fun as doing
new things. Also, I usually think it's best to get agreement on the
framework before launching into a lot of work. But, in this case, I
think maybe many of us need to see what this might look like, so
starting to develop the framework in a feature branch (even if it
happened after 2.4.0) is the way to go.

I'm all for focusing on 2.4.0 release. So I'll not push yet my commits into newly created branch features/unit-test-adoption. Are there strong arguments in favor of other frameworks?

Expanding the tests in support/,
and integrating the existing ones into whatever framework you have in
mind, would be a good start, I think.

Riki

Yes, as you can see in the patch from the first thread message, I started exactly from this.

Of course testing GUI code will be harder, but we can begin with testing the core code.

Also I want to propose an easy way to gradually increase test coverage -- after fixing the bug to add a test so this bug will immediately show up if it reappear due to future changes. Recent bug #12069 will be a good candidate for this. I'll write corresponding test for it.

Yuriy