On 1/18/21 2:03 PM, Doug Martin wrote:

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:41 AM Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org <mailto:skost...@lyx.org>> wrote:

    On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 07:25:42PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
    > Le 14/01/2021 à 05:34, Doug Martin a écrit :
    > > JMarc and all,
    > >
    > > Tom and I use knitr extensively for R code chunks, and we
    mostly use
    > > kable with kableExtra to make tables.
    > > The input to kable are R data frames, or data.tables, which
    are the
    > > result of model fitting and related calculations.
    > > But we like to put mathematical expressions in selected cells
    of tables,
    > > which is so easy with LYX tables, and we currently
    > > have to make the data entry into LYX by hand from data tables and
    > > data.tables in order to make use of that feature.
    > > So it would be great if we could import R data tables and
    data.tables
    > > into LYX tables, rather than using the kable/kableExtra
    > > solution for our tables  (maybe I didn't make that clear in my
    earlier
    > > email).  Then we would probably would drop use of
    > > kable/kableExtra.
    >
    > So you want to import as .tex the result of R processing. This
    can be done
    > via "Paste from LaTeX". What would be missing for your intended
    usage?

    From what I understand, they would like to import a .Rds file without
    having to manually convert it to LaTeX.

Scott,

Definitely correct on the "without" part.  But we want to directly import an R object
of class data.frame or data.table into an LYX table.

If we have to export such an object first, we would typically export it to an .Rda object.
But it would be far more convenient to not have to do that.

Doug

    Scott

--
R. Douglas Martin
Professor Emeritus in Applied Mathematics and Statistics

Doug,

I'm not sure that what you want (direct import without first exporting) is possible. Keep in mind that the source data frames / tables live inside an R session, to which LyX probably does not have access. So I'm pretty sure you will need to manually export the R objects, either by saving to .Rda files (and then importing them into a LyX document using a converter) or by running an R function/script that converts them to LaTeX or LyX source (or something else LyX can ingest).

Note that if you do your R work in an IDE, such as RStudio, you could probably set up an addin / plugin / <whatever your IDE calls it> to do the export by invoking a shortcut.

Paul

--
Paul A. Rubin, Professor Emeritus
The Eli Broad College of Business