On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 20:54, Andrew Parsloe <ajpars...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/01/2021 1:42 am, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> > Le 16/01/2021 à 04:36, Andrew Parsloe a écrit :
> >> As a LyX user on windows, I would be reluctant to see Ctrl+-
> >> changed. To meit sits comfortably alongside Ctrl+space to give a
> >> protected space. (To my mind, the odd one out is Alt+. to give an
> >> ellipsis rather than Ctrl+. for this function.  To maintain
> >> equilibrium I recall JMarc's description from 17 Jul 2018, "remember
> >> that LyX is a platypus: something so weirdly designed that everybody
> >> is surprised that it even exists.")
> >
> > Do you keep a list of my most famous quotes ? I am flattered ;)
> No, but the mention of platypuses obviously stuck. When I 'discovered'
> LyX about 15 years ago, the User's Guide had a picture of a platypus. It
> feels as if the unlikely creature has been a meme in LyX development for
> a long time.
> >
> > More seriously, it is important to keep a good balance between the
> > normal and the weird.
> >
> > JMarc
> Andrew

Based on the whole discussion, I'm in favour of only changing Alt+0 due to
the problematic behaviour on Windows (as far as I understand it, there is
no specific binding file for Windows). For macOS, there is already a
mac.bind file, and it already defines Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- for zooming. The
attached patch just does that single change.
unnamed2.patch

Maybe it's time to ship a Windows-specific bind file? In that case, the
zoom shortcuts would move to Ctrl+something, like for macOS and most
Windows apps, the hyphen would then become Alt+-. As I understand the
current code, the problem would be that this file would be almost a copy
from the standard file (with just a few changes), there is no possibility
to "include" another set of shortcuts.

What is the most usual shortcut in the Linux world (I'm using a singular to
refer to some kind of average over the two zillions distributions)? For
Firefox and Chrome, it looks like Ctrl++/- (
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/font-size-and-zoom-increase-size-of-web-pages,
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/326698/google-chrome-accidental-zoom/326729),
LibreOffice also uses Ctrl+something (
https://www.libreofficehelp.com/how-zoom-libreoffice-writer/). Maybe it's
best to switch to Ctrl+something for Linux too (and still have the same
file as for Windows), because current software seems to have settled on
this shortcut? That means reassigning the hyphen to Alt+-.
unnamed3.patch