On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:19:38PM +0200, Lars Gullik Bj?nnes wrote:

> John Levon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> | I thought the point of UTF-8 was that ASCII could be stored in 7-bit
> | values ?
>
> yes, but we do not really want to use utf-8 internally.

Hmm... although it would save memory for those of us working primarily
with langauges that only use Latin-1 ASCII, it does make rendering
trickier.  You'd basically have to convert from utf-8 to full Unicode
on-the-fly, as you displayed.

So, it seems that we're stuck with char (you're using a single
language, one that only needs Latin-1 ASCII) or wchar_t.  Any way to
select one type or the other at run time?  ;)  Didn't think so...

Now, when it comes to *file* *format*, we could certainly support
utf-8 (as well as utf-16 or full UC3).

--
John Weiss

"Not through coercion.  Not by force.  But by compassion.  By
affection.  And, a small fish."  -His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama