Andre> I think a more suitable implementation of matrices and array
Andre> would involve a one-dimesional array (i.e. std::vector) of "row
Andre> structures", each holding another one-dimensional array of
Andre> "entries", an optional number, and an optional label.

If you are going to rewrite array support, would it make sense to
share code with the tabular inset? At latex level, these are the same
objects, after all. I understand that there will be many problem, but
this is the "ideal" solution, after all.