On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 06:57:08PM -0400, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> The zoom level at which a file should be opened is apparently a property of
> the file (in some cases) and, when present, will override the default zoom
> setting in Reader (and presumably in Acrobat Pro).

Correct, pdf file can contain default zoom level. I suggest you look for the
documentation for hyperref pdfstartview command (you can enter it into
Additional Options of PDF properties in document settings).
Just empty 'pdfstartview=' should let the viewer decide on its own defaults.
Of course I do not know how that works with Adobe.

In linux world there are nice pdf viewers which, while having your pdf
opened, will detect that file behind was rewritten and open it again
on the same page and zoom level. I believe you'd find similar in MS
world, Adobe never allowed refresh and it must be pain to use it for
tuning the document.

Pavel