On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 08:44:30AM +0100, Daniel wrote:
> On 2021-11-11 08:38, Daniel wrote:
> > On 2021-11-11 04:07, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > > I would find it helpful to display the Frame number in LyX when working
> > > with Beamer presentations.
> > >
> > > Attached is an attempt that doesn't work and screenshot showing that it
> > > doesn't work.
> > >
> > > I'm clueless about layouts. Any advice?
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> > Adding this to your Document > Local Layout works for me:
> >

> > Counter frame
> > End
> >
> > Style Frame
> >    LabelString      "Frame \theframe"
> >    LabelCounter     frame
> >    TocLevel         3
> > End
> >

> > For some reason, if one keeps the TocLevel to 4, the label "Frame ..."
> > disappears. But, I guess, as long as you don't use Subsubsection in your
> > presentation, it should be no problem?
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> Actually, it seems the local layout is read after the non-local layout is
> read. So you have to either tweak the other frame layouts (PlainFrame etc.)
> accordingly, or create a local copy of beamer.layout and tweak the Frame
> layout directly there.

This works great. Thank you! I had to set 'InitialValue' to 2 since the
title takes up a frame for me. It's really nice to have the numbers. I
find it especially helpful when I print out a copy and make edits and
then want to input those hardcopy edits to the file. Navigating by slide
numbers is a bit faster than searching for titles or (for frames without
a title) content text.

Thanks for the help, Daniel!

> Numbering the frames seems to be good idea in general. Maybe it could become
> the default? (Then the TocLevel stuff would have to be fixed somehow
> though.)

I think that might be nice. Indeed we'd have to smooth a few things out.
If anyone is interested in working on this feature, maybe we could first
ask on lyx-users what opinions are.

Scott