On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 04:46:54PM +0200, Stephan Witt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently had a discussion on lyx-users regarding synctex (Subject:
> Syncing skim with LyX) which lead me to the attached patch to improve
> the usability of the document setting in GuiDocument::outputModule.
>
> I want to be sure the patch is an improvement. Therefor I ask you for
> comments.

Sorry for chiming in late, but for me it is not an improvement.

> 1)
> AFAICS the synctex activation is possible for more than pfdlatex
> output only. I’ve tried dvi, luatex and xetex and all of them work for
> me. So I’ve changed the check in BufferParams::writeLaTeX to use
> OutputParams::isLaTeX. Is someone to tell if this change is the right
> one? Perhaps it’s superfluous in BufferParams::writeLaTeX at all and
> one can output it w/o the check for the flavor here?
>
> 2)
> The LFUN_FORWARD_SEARCH implementation relies on the correct check in
> getStatus. The patch adds the explicit check for presence of current
> buffer and active output_sync state. Regarding the latter I’m not sure
> if someone is unhappy with it. In case of preamble code to activate
> synctex the LFUN_FORWARD_SEARCH would work but LyX doesn’t know that
> and it’s disabled. What is your opinion here?

You can always initiate a forward search by simply defining the pdflatex
converter as "pdflatex --synctex=1 $$i", without any modification to the
sources. Now I have lost this possibility. Please, also look at the
converter for enabling the context menu or revert that part.

--
Enrico