Am Donnerstag, dem 11.08.2022 um 08:54 +0200 schrieb Pavel Sanda:
> > 2. The display is quite cryptic since it is not immediately clear
> > what "w",
> > "c" and "cb" is. Minimally, I suggest to add a tooltip explaining
> > this.
> > Ideally, I would write at least "3 words, 23 characters" out, as it
> > is the
> > case in other word processors (Writer and Word).
> >
> > I see that this might get a bit longish if "characters including
> > blanks" is
> > written out. Here are a couple of alternatives:
> >
> > a. abbreviate only these: "42 cb".
> > b. show blanks: "19 blanks".
>
> I agree with initital cryptic impression and was expectecting someone
> will question it. For me, once you get what w/c/cb is supposed to
> mean the current display is easier to parse, especially if you are
> actively changing the selection size and need quick feedback while
> selecting.
> We can change it if others will complain as well.

It's horrible, really. You need not only to spell it out, but also
localize it. How should a non-English user know what "c" (not to
mention "cb") is supposed to mean? If space is an issue, I'd suggest to
only list "N words" and "N characters" (where the latter means "incl.
blanks", as in the LibreOffice status bar). Also remember while
localizing that the word order differs in localizations.

BTW does the counting use async processes?

--
Jürgen