On 2022-09-18 16:26, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 11:09:52AM +1200, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
I have a command-sequence that uses word-select prior to using cut. Recently
I was surprised to find the content of the *previous* item saved to the
clipboard being pasted rather than the expected one. After experimenting, I
think an unintuitive cursor positioning is the cause.
Suppose your word is abcdefghijk. If the cursor is positioned after the k
and you invoke word-select the whole word abcdefghijk is selected. Howeve if
you start selecting character by character from the right (Shift + left
arrow) and then after a few characters invoke word-select the selection is
cancelled, leaving the cursor where it started after the k (meaning the cut
operation of my command sequence had nothing to save to the clipboard).
In the other direction, with cursor positioned before the a and then
(Shift+right arrow) a few characters selected, invoking word-select expands
the selection to the whole word. To my mind this is the behaviour I would
expect also in the backward direction (as is the case in LibfreOffice).
This is in 2.4.0 alpha3 on windows 10.
Andrew

Testing the latest master commit, I confirm the behavior you describe
and I agree it should be improved.

Scott

I am not fully sure whether I understood the recipe. But it's the same in stable (no regression), right?

Daniel