On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 10:11:42AM +0000, John Robert Hudson wrote:
> On Monday, 28 November 2022 23:34:48 GMT Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > Excelent question. Are on Windows or Mac or Linux?
> >
> > We did not freeze the fileformat for 2.4 yet so unless you can compile
> > the current development version we need to figure out how to deliver it
> > for people like you.
> >
> > Perhaps Scott will propose soon some guidelines/deadlines when it comes to
> > release process so I have better answers when it's a good time to start
> > working on the documentation.
> >
> > Pavel
>
> I use openSUSE Linux but I assume that if I prepare the changes in 2.3 and
> then open a text editor and copy and paste them into Additional.lyx, save
> that
> and send you a patch, that should work. I am familiar with working with
> markup
> languages and I do not think there will be anything in a 2.3 markup which
> will
> be incompatible with 2.4 - at least not in the layout of Additional.lyx.
>
> At least we could try that when I get round to sending my first patch and, if
> it works, carry on that way until is is practical to have a stable version of
> 2.4.

Sounds possible, but the 2.4 manuals contain + ~5 years of changes so I would
think twice.

On the positive side, you are on Linux! Cor Blom who is our SUSE maintainer is
pretty active and as far as I can see there is repository with recent 2.4 so I
would try that:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home%3Acornelisbb%3Alyx-unstable/lyx

(I have no clue whether how to install this on openSUSE though....)
Pavel