I used to be able to export our Hebrew documents to PDF using dvipdfmx. This
doesn't work for me anymore, and I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to try
to fix it on my system, or whether I should just drop these tests (in favor of
the XeTeX and LuaTeX tests).

Does the export work for anyone? To check, you first need to uncheck "use
system fonts" in document settings.

If it does work, does anyone know whether this converter chain is used in
practice these days?

Here is my terminal output with the error:

$ cd lib/examples/he && lyx Welcome.lyx
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (TeX Live 2023) (preloaded
format=latex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./Welcome.tex
LaTeX2e <2022-11-01> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2023-03-30>
Welcome.dvi -> Welcome.pdf
[1
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
DavidCLM-Medium.pfa
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for DavidCLM-Medium.pfa.
mktexpk: perhaps DavidCLM-Medium.pfa is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

dvipdfmx:warning: Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM "david".
dvipdfmx:warning: This font is mapped to a physical font "DavidCLM-Medium.pfa".
dvipdfmx:fatal: Sorry, pfa format not supported; please convert the font to
pfb, e.g., with t1binary.

No output PDF file written.
support/Systemcall.cpp (306): Systemcall: 'dvipdfmx   -o "Welcome.pdf"
"Welcome.dvi"' finished with exit code 1
Error: Cannot convert file
An error occurred while running:
dvipdfmx   -o "Welcome.pdf" "Welcome.dvi"

Scott