On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 03:00:00PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:51:02 +0300
> schrieb Udicoudco <udifog...@gmail.com>:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 10:12 PM Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I used to be able to export our Hebrew documents to PDF using dvipdfmx.
> > > This doesn't
> > > work for me anymore, and I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to try
> > > to fix it on
> > > my system, or whether I should just drop these tests (in favor of the
> > > XeTeX and
> > > LuaTeX tests).
> > >
> > > Does the export work for anyone? To check, you first need to uncheck "use
> > > system
> > > fonts" in document settings.
> >
> > Works for me. Both on texlive and miktex.
> >
> > > If it does work, does anyone know whether this converter chain is used in
> > > practice
> > > these days?
> >
> > I personally have old files using this converter chain. I've also noticed
> > that most new lyx users aren't aware that it is much better yp use
> > XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX with Hebrew, so they use it.
> >
> >  Also, In some rare cases there times when I'm forced to work
> > with pdfTeX.
> >
> > > Here is my terminal output with the error:
> > >
> > > dvipdfmx:warning: Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM
> > > "david".
> > > dvipdfmx:warning: This font is mapped to a physical font
> > > "DavidCLM-Medium.pfa".
> > > dvipdfmx:fatal: Sorry, pfa format not supported; please convert the font
> > > to pfb,
> > > e.g., with t1binary.
> >
> > Note that none of the Hebrew fonts (David CLM in particular) are
> > shipped with TeXLive.
> > You can install them from here:
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/ivritex/files/culmus-latex/culmus-latex-0.7/
> >
> > To install, Use the MAKE file, ot copy the two directories from the
> > .tar.gz file called tex and fonts, from use/share/texmf/
> > to a local texmf tree.
> >
> > If you copied the directories manually, run updmap --enable
> > Map=culmus.map (or updmap -sys --enable Map=culmus.map) afterwards.
>
> Thanks, I always forget this last part :(
> Works here now again.
>
> > Regards,
> > Udi

Thanks, Udi! Thanks to your help, I remembered that I use a script that Kornel
wrote for me long ago that automates those (or equivalent?) commands.

The problem was that the script needed updating since I now use a non-standard
texmf-local directory.

Now everything is working smoothly!

For reference (and as a reminder to myself), the script is here:

https://gitlab.com/scottkosty/lyx-tester/-/blob/master/helper_scripts/Hebrew_pdf3.sh

Scott