On Tue, 2023-05-02 at 12:09 +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 08:37:47AM +0100, José Matos wrote:
> > Do to this I think that the best is to proceed with 2.4 release.
>
> Ha! Now I know that 3 years of delay is making even Jose nervous :))

That and the fact that some of our initial assumptions are no longer
valid.

As an example most users are now using python 3 and we can see that in
the error reports.

All those issues have been fixed in 2.4 but they are not fixed in 2.3
to avoid making large changes and at some point it becomes too much
work to decide what has been fixed and what needs to be done.

> > What are the major roadblocks for 2.4? What needs to be done?
> > I remember that at some point Scott volunteered to drive the
> > release
> > process.
>
> From management point of view, largely depends on Americans now.
> Riki was afraid to get stuck due to new duties at his workplace
> and as you correctly noted Scott offered that he might have some
> capacity from Feb.
> So the first thing is likely to get their feedback what they
> can/want/plan to do / or assume the command into your hands...
>
> Technically, what we need is to finish
> 1) sort out remaining bugs with 2.4 target in trac
> 2) review/ sort out TODOs in wiki
> https://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/LyX24Road

FWIW the point there regarding python, as far as I can see, is already
fixed in 2.4 with the ${python} keyword supported in preferences.

--
José Abílio