On 2023-07-05 09:43, Yu Jin wrote:
Am Di., 4. Juli 2023 um 15:42 Uhr schrieb Pavel Sanda:

    On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 10:55:14AM +0200, Yu Jin wrote:
     > Am Di., 4. Juli 2023 um 10:40 Uhr schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:
     >
     > > Am Dienstag, dem 04.07.2023 um 10:33 +0200 schrieb Yu Jin:
     > > > How do you switch on Linux/MacOS? Or does it just follow the
    system
     > > > setting?
     > >
     > > It follows the system settings unless you use a dark style via cl
     > > switch.

    On linux systems where desktop manager does not do it automatically, you
    can use (in case of QT 5) qt5ct tool to set it up. E.g. you select
    fusion
    style and "darker" (or any other you might like) color scheme.

    Then before running lyx you set the environment variable
    QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
    and that should work (tested on oldstable debian).

     > What if we make "fusion" style default on windows then? That
    would make
     > LyX's behavior the same as on Linux and MacOS.

    Given that you are now the principal maintainer of the windows port
    I think that's up to you to decide.

    Advantage of fusion is that it will look the same across platform
    disadvantage might be that it looks less native to windows than
    other apps on your desktop?

Actually Qt blog says that "their" preferred style on Windows is fusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

So would that be something we want to set on all platforms? or only Windows?
I attached 2 patches accordingly, the style can be overwritten by the user through command line arguments as before.

Which one should I push?
--
   Eugene

IMO, the way to go is to have a setting in Preferences, User Interface that lets the user choose the style (which is then applied after a restart of LyX). A simple combobox that let's one choose between the styles which can be queried from QStyleFactory::keys().

This would be good to have on both Windows and macOS. Maybe the default should still be the default native style on both systems since it provides the most native look and feel? But one could then optionally choose the fusion style (among others).

On Windows, this would apparently offer dark mode support. On macOS, one could get around a buggy native style if wanted (e.g. remember the time when labels on tabs disappeared and the still blue lines between tabs with Qt 5). I am ignorant about Linux.

Daniel