I've finally decided to use the rpmdist target rather than installing directly, but it is failing here:

    $(LN_S) $(srcdir)/lib/images/lyx.png . ; \

The problem is that LN_S does not seem to be defined, so it is trying to execute the image.

Temporarily replacing that with cp leads to:

rpm: -ta: unknown option

I needed to install the rpm-build package, but shouldn't this adapt? or warn me?

Next problem:

$RPMBUILD -ta lyx-2.4.0-RC1-devel.tar.gz ; saved_status=$?; \
rm lyx.png; exit $saved_status
error: line 5: Illegal char '-' (0x2d) in: Version: 2.4.0-RC1-devel

This seems to be in the lyx.spec file, not in the filename itself.

Finally, does a similar target exist for cmake? If so, how to call it?

Riki