juergen joined,

> On 09-May-2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > symlink the libc.so.4 to libc.so.3?  ahh, this gets it running. (I
> > don't have a /etc/ld.so.conf . . )

> > But shouldn't configure have figured this out?

> This isn't a configure problem, this is purely a linker problem! Do you
> have somewhere on your system a libc.so.3 (for backward compatibility)?

Nope, not until I added a symlink from libc.so.4 to get lyx to run.  I
just died an ls -R on /:

fac13ttyp3:/root>ls -R / > /tmp/lsr
fac13ttyp3:/root>grep libc.so /tmp/lsr
libc.so.6
libc.so.5
libc.so.5.3.12
libc.so
libc.so
libc.so.3
libc.so.4
libc.so
libc.so.4
libc.so
libc.so.4
libc.so.1.1.gz.uu
libc.so.2.2.gz.uu
libc.so.3.1.gz.uu
libc.so.3.gz.uu

> It seems the linker finds a libc.so which is linked to a libc.so.3 and
> then the dynamik library loader wants to load obviously the libc.so.3 as
> it was that library the program was compiled with. Have a look at the
> link line maybe there is some strange -L path or, hmm, ..., let me guess
> try to do a ldd of the xforms library I guess this library is wrong, just
> a guess but I'm pretty sure it's the right one!

ok, How do I do this?  ldd told me that xforoms is ELF an to do
objdump.  I'm guessing that -T is the right option (seems to be the
only one about dynamic symbol tables), and it relates no libc:

fac13ttyp3:/root>objdump -T /usr/X11R6/lib/libxforms.so.0 | grep libc
fac13ttyp3:/root>

hawk, baffled

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail