On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 09:38:44AM +0000, José Matos wrote:

The culprit, from your analysis, seems to be that on windows some
variables are bytes instead of strings (unicode text on Python 3).

I think it is the other way around. Some variables are bytes on linux and strings on windows. But I am very confused by all this dance.

Would not it be easier to convert the bytes to unicode, in the cases
where we need (read windows), and then it is not necessary to change
getopt and friends?

The script is geared around bytes and I think the proposed patch is the minimal one. Otherwise I fear a complete overhaul is needed.

I am finishing other tasks and so I had not a proper look into this
issue and so I am admit to be wrong.

It is a mess and while adjusting a thing some other thing was breaking. I don't plan to look further into it if simply shipping a patched getopt.py on windows solves the problem ;)

--
Enrico