Am Montag, dem 12.02.2024 um 22:59 -0700 schrieb list_em...@icloud.com:
> I’m sorry to report continuing problems on macOS 12.7.2, Monterey
> with LyX 2.4.0 RC3.
>
> Hangs (pinwheel) on first launch with only Apple and LyX menu items,
> then same on second launch.  Very low CPU and memory use. Force quit
> both.
>
> Deleted /Users/me/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.4/
>
> Re-launch. Opens “Welcome to LyX!”. Then I did Document -> View ->
> (PDF (pdflatex)). No PDF is created. Instead, rapid looping of some
> messages in the status bar, apparently involved with TeX stuff, such
> as “Indexing TeX files… .” Document -> Cancel Export has no effect.
> At the same time, about 24 files are being written or modified in
> /Users/me/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.4/ every 1-3 seconds. I
> am able to capture the contents of e.g. configure.log. Attempt to
> quit normally causes this dialog: " LyX could not be closed because
> documents are being processed by LyX.”
>
> Force quit again.
>
> Re-launch. Hangs as on first launch; no Welcome.
>
> Re-boot. Same sort of behavior. Safe boot. Same: Sometimes opens
> Welcome then hangs. Sometimes doesn’t finish drawing menu bar and
> hangs. Sometimes opens Welcome and hangs when trying to open a new
> file. Can no longer get to where I can attempt to make a PDF.

Can you open LyX from a Terminal window and observe the output? Is it
possible that the configuration of LyX gets repeatedly run in a loop?

I have had that when I first installed 2.4.x without version suffix,
and it turned out I had an old version of chkconfig.ltx in my personal
LyX directory (no idea how it ended there). As the configure syntax
significantly changed, this broke configuration. Removing the file
fixed the issue for me.

Maybe LyX 2.4 also accesses some outdated configuration files in your
case. Or the configuration (or some conversion) fails for another
reason.

Terminal output might help us pinpointing the issue.

--
Jürgen