[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chanop Silpa-Anan) writes:

> It's good that you put together the deb. However, I still experienced the
> slowness when lyx calls latex from this deb. Do you have this problem on
> your box with this deb?

Yes, unfortunately i do have it this way here as well. :-(

> The only way I can get lyx to run properly (both 1.1.6fix2 and
> 1.2.0cvs) is to use gcc-3.0. My locally compiled lyx-1.1.6fix2
> (with gcc-3.0) works pretty well. You might consider recompile lyx with
> gcc-3.0 to work around the slownes instead of exporting to latex and
> compile by hand.

I run debian/unstable which is updated almost on a daily basis and
there is still no gcc-3.0 included in the Debian FTP archive.  And i
really don't want to mess with a gcc prerelease.

But if you'd like to, you could just send me along the appropriately
namend binary (lyx_1.1.6fix2-0.gcc3.0 or something) and i'd put it on
the FTP server for public consumption?

> BTW, do you know whether the real maintainer will release lyx 1.1.6fix2
> anytime soon? I emailed hime once and got no reply.

I don't know.  If he could be maintaining the LyX Debian package more
frequently i wouldn't bother compiling it on my own.  I guess he has a
good reason for not regularily updating the Debian package.  Maybe he
cares mostly about stable releases (which is a very good reason IMHO)?

No, i won't the official Debian package for LyX although i've got the
Debian blessing being an official member of the project.  Maintaining
a package for Debian is lots more than just once in a while drop in a
random .deb binary and unfortunately takes more time i could
definitely provide.

To tell the truth, i even don't really use LyX myself, maybe just a
few times a year.  I feel more comfortable with AUCTeX on any kind of
(X)Emacs and actually only compile the unofficial .deb because i like
LyX so much, that i want others to be able to just drop in a mostly up
to date release.  LyX is just too great to be ignored... ;-)

                       Thanks for the feedback, P. *8^)