> The whole keymap-stuff was never very good supported by LyX, and IMHO
> it really has nothing to do in LyX. It belongs in the desktop.
>
> I'd vote for removing it completely.
> (and before 1.2.0)
>
> The solution for users the:
>         - to use a desktop with support for changing/different
>           keyboard layouts
>         - use several .xmodmaps and load/unload them as needed.
>
> Then it will also work for all applications, not just for LyX.

I don't know if this is a good idea:

1. Setting the X keymap might not be easy in some cases. Furthermore, in many
distributions there are no keymaps for some languages (e.g. Hebrew, Arabic).

2. To do it correctly, it should be done after we changed to 32bit text
representation.

3. What happen when the user needs two or more keymaps (e.g latin keymap and
Hebrew keymap) ?
Is it easy to do ?
Does the application (lyx) know when the keymap has changed ?
Can the application change the keymap ?

4. There are several method than can be used: setxkbmap, xmodmap, and gui
programs like kikbd(in KDE1). Is there a difference between them, and do
the answer to (3) depends on which method you use ?

5. What about ports to OS's which don't support keymaps ?