"Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| On 28 Jun 2001, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
|
| > My gripe with it, is that we are reimplementing X's dead keyhandling,
| > the compose handling and all of xmodmap...
|
| So what? We are also reimplementing large parts of the LaTeX parser.

Otoh that is part of LyX's job. LyX's job is not to be a Desktop.

| So "redundant code" is not a good reason in itself.

adds to the picture...

| You have to argue that *we* don't need the feature. So far, you have only
| managed to argue that *you* don't need that feature. That's not enough,
| since both Dekel and Jean-Marc have argued that they (or somebody
| else) need the feature.

Where? I never saw their arguments for that.
As I see it they never argued that they need _this_ feature... but
that they sometimes need to insert strange characters with weird
accents.

| Now, if your main argument is that the feature is broken and unmaintained,
| and therefore does more bad than good, that's a different matter completely.
| However, in this case, you should give people a fair chance to fix it
| before nuking it.

sure... but it is not just that it is broken and unmaintained, it is
also close to unmaintainable...

| Or maybe provide something else that can reasonably substitute the
| feature.

KDE,GNOME,CDE,Windown etc...

| > If you really want a strange accent use the lyx-func directly or bind
| > this to some key...
|
| A better solution would be to provide a dialog, where you can visually
| see all characters, and then select which one you need.

what char is \r{t}? Does it have a name in any encoding?
but sure this can be solved with a dialog too.

but this is easy... just make the dialog dispatch one of the
accent-xxx lyxfuncs.

| > (I know of a problem in the accent handling that prevents accents on
| > all chars, but I'll fix that)
|
| Great.

Except that dead-key handling, and the keymap handling is intermixed
so by fixing one the other might (most likely) break...

--
        Lgb