OK I copied lyx compiled with previous spellclean patch and configured
without pspell to lyxold.
Then I upgraded aspell and pspell to latest, applied your clean2 patch,
configured --with-pspell --disable-nls
For the first time ever --with-pspell worked except that it is ignoring
my language settings (canadian).
If I run the same file with lyx and lyxold, lyxold spellchecks with
canadian, but lyx spellchecks with american.

Garst