I'm not trying to make life harder for you here!!! But:

 FloatParams::FloatParams()
-       : placement("htbp")
+       : placement("htbp"), wide()
 {}

What default do you want for bool wide? true or false?  As you have it, wide
is undefined I think.

 FloatParams::FloatParams()
-       : placement("htbp")
+       : placement("htbp"), wide(false)
 {}

Also, why store
        string placement
since this makes it hard (pointless) to check (p1.placement == p2.placement)
in case the order is wrong. Why not store
        bool here;
        bool top;
        bool bottom;
etc. Then your check will be easy.

+int C_FormFloatFeedbackCB(FL_OBJECT * ob, int event,
+                           FL_Coord, FL_Coord, int, void *)

This is nice enough, but what do people think about all this feedback stuff?
Would it be nicer as a bubble-help? This is dead easy to do with xforms 0.89
but is a bit more convoluted for 0.88. Nonetheless, we could provide a
wrapper for this. Shall I do so?

FormFloat::build()
{
        setBubbleHelp(dialog_->radio_top, "some silly text");
}

FormBase::FormBase()
{
#if FL_REVISION < 89
        bubble_timer = 0;
#endif
}

FormBase::setBubbleHelp(FL_OBJECT * ob, string const & help)
{
#if FL_REVISION >= 89
        fl_set_object_helper(ob, help.c_str());
#else
        if (bubble_timer == 0)
                bubble_timer = fl_add_timer(FL_HIDDEN_TIMER,
                                            xpos, ypos, 0, 0, "Timer");
        fl_set_object_posthandler(ob, C_Toolbar_BubblePost);
        obj->u_cdata = reinterpret_cast<char *>(bubble_timer);
#endif
}