Andre> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:44:09AM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
Andre> wrote: Once you made a distinction between insets and hacks you
Andre> will come to the conclusion that a paragraph should be an
Andre> inset, even if it is a hack today. It's much more uniform ...
>>  So you will be able to insert a paragraph in a paragraph.

Andre> One could restrict direct insertion if it is really senseless.
Andre> But I believe it is e.g. valid HTML to have <p>Outer <p>Inner
Andre> </p></p>

And does it have a meaning/use?

>> How will that look like? You need some kind of wrapper around it,
>> and it's called an inset nowadays.

Andre> You mean TextInset?

Yes, for example (except that an insettext does nothing useful in
itself and is actually not a real inset, but rather an abstract one).

>> I am not saying these should be completely different. Maybe they
>> should both inherit from a common base. But I think they are
>> conceptually different things.

Andre> I think "everything is an inset" fits rather nicely together:

Andre> Buffer TextInset Paragraph PlainText Table TextInset Paragraph
Andre> Paragraph TextInset PlainText MathInset Fraction Number Number
Andre> Paragraph ....

As I wrote in my previous message, we have to think very carefully
about the resulting UI. Boxes is not the best UI around (think about
the problems with being in or out of the insettext in a tabular cell).