On Thursday 17 January 2002 5:05 am, John Levon wrote:

> I think the problem is converter.C was never really generalised enough for
> use by insetgraphics, there are other problems as well in this area.

Very true. However, if you'd help me with my little trial program, then this
is the part we could devote ourselves to ;-) We already have asynchronous

> insetgraphics still needs a lot of work IMHO, but I don't know who's going
to do it. I had
> a trawl of freshmeat, and it looks like imlib2 and libafterimage are our
best choices for
> implementing scaling etc. At least of one these offers line-by-line
decoding, which we can do
> in an xforms idle callback I think.

I thought we could have a two part strategy:
1. Use the imageviewing capabilities of our native toolkit (xforms, Qt, gnome)
2. For cases when the above fails to load, scale or rotate an image, use the
(improved) converters to create an image that _could_ be loaded by the above
or by libXpm.

Note, in a general sense, we will always need a converters mechanism to go
from some truly wierd format.

Angus