gcc 3.1 compiles LyX fine modulo one detail---the last link step makes ld grow
to a really vast size and _eventually_ die due to lack of memory. 64Mb of real
memory+50Mb swap is enough for gcc, glibc (2.2.5), XFree86 and everything else
IO have tired except lyx. I might try again once my box gets another 256 Mb of
memory, to 320Mb total but reckon this is something that should be fixed it
there is any feasible means of doing so (linking it in several chunks might
help, for example).

P.S. On the eps and postscript graphics front I think that xdvi passes
ghostscript a window id instead of converting the graphics into a bitmap
format. I know ghostview and xpdf leave drawing to ghostscript's x11 driver. Is
there any compelling reason for LyX to do something different? Doing cropping,
rotating and scaling in postscript is not rocket science.

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is