Lars> | What was the problem with the "ld -r" you used at some time?

Lars> You, among others saw problems with on non-linux systems. I'll
Lars> be happy to switch back to "ld -r", that will save a lot of
Lars> linking time as well as disk space.

I think I got problems with -Ur, which only in gnu ld, but -r was
fine, I think. And yes it was much faster...

Lars> The idea is still to move to dynamic libraries for lyx. And also
Lars> use dynamically loaded libraries (think plugins). And why is it
Lars> confusing?

I don't like this stuff of files in .libs/, those .lo files. And I
think libtools is intended to do many things we do not need yet. When
we feel we are redqy for plugins or whatever, then there will be a
need for that, but for now it is just dead weight.