On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:24:22AM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Martin> Mathed does not do this. It simply intercepts the dead-keys,
> Martin> and if a corresponding decoration is defined, it puts it there
> Martin> and (with the patch I earlier submitted) places the "stripped"
> Martin> character under it.
>
> So mathed could refrain from doing this in math-text-mode, right?
>
> JMarc

Wouldn't help. I tried that. The problem is, the "splitting" of the
keystroke event into a deadkey and a stripped character has been done
already, based on the latinkeys.bind file. Not intercepting the deadkey
will simply lead to a fall-through after which BufferView::pimpl::Dispatch
takes over and places the character outside mathed in the plain text.

No, you have to handle these keystrokes and their accents somehow
within mathed. Or, alternatively (as I showed), bind sequences
like M-m S-Aring to Å so you can at least type these fellows, somehow
anyhow, inside mathed.

[You could make this change inside the original latinkeys.bind
i.e.

        \bind "S-Aring" "self-insert"

This works. But... what you sacrifice is the ability, for someone with
a keyboard lacking an Å key, to type "M-x accent-ring A" or rather the
equivalent key sequence dead-ring A (assuming there is such a thing as
dead-ring, but you see the principle.). We don't want to do that.]

Martin