Angus> Now repeatedly type and erase the letter "a" in front of the
Angus> inset.

Angus> Here I get a new graphics inset created with each key stroke.
Angus> This may be something to do with my hacking here, but I don't
Angus> think so since the new inset is created through a clone command
Angus> which is in the core somewhere.

I think this is undo creating and deleting copies of your paragraph.
To be sure, set a break in gdb at the place where your graphics inset
is created and look at the backtrace there.