On 1 Mar 2002, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Allan> Bitmapped font:
> Allan> -bitstream-charter-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-p-45-iso8859-1
>
> You can also have scaled bitmap fonts like
> -adobe-times-medium-r-normal--0-0-100-100-p-0-iso8859-1
> -adobe-times-medium-r-normal--0-0-75-75-p-0-iso8859-1
>
> Note that the dpi settings are not zero in this case. This is how you
> can recognize them.

I thought I gave an example of this in my email anyway?  I knew this
part.

> They will not appear if you use the :unscaled postfix in your
> fontpath entries.

Ahhh that might help explain things a little.  I hadn't thought of
that.

[...]

> Allan> match #12 -urw-times-medium-i-normal--12-120-75-75-p-0-iso8859-1
> Allan> match #13 -urw-times-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 match #14
>
> Allan> It should also be noted that we get pairs of fonts like 12&13
> Allan> and 14&15 because of the full font pattern we supply XListFonts
> Allan> with.
>
> No, #12 tells you that a bitmap font of size 12 exists on this system.
> This is a very valuable information: you have both bitmap and scalable
> versions of the fonts.

I don't think so, because when using the '-*' call to XListFonts as
described in the gfontsel sources doesn't yield #12 for urw.  That can
only mean that xfs is using the default settings for my system(?).
Using `xlsfonts | less` also doesn't show #12.  How do you explain
that?

Besides a bitmapped font of size 12 should also include an average
width field (the zero in -p-0-iso8859) -- all the rest do.

FWIW, wouldn't it make sense for FontLoader to use a pattern that
includes the screen DPI setting? Or at least FontInfo::query() when
searching for a suitable scalable font?  Or we should at least be
trying to match a font that is as close as possible to the screen dpi
setting within FontInfo::getFontName() for non-scaled fonts.

If scalable fonts are enabled then people like Peter D. with 140dpi
screens will get a scaled font of the right dpi rather than him
having to set a really high zoom level.  The scaled result may also
appear slightly different -- 36pt 75dpi versus say 18pt 140dpi
when viewed on a 140dpi screen.

And if scalable fonts are off then he would get a match for 100dpi
fonts instead of the more likely 75dpi.  Depending upon the font this
could be the difference between readable and unreadable since some
fonts change shape at smaller point sizes to make them more readable.

> Allan> I have a bit more work to do on cleaning up the font code and
> Allan> then I'll send a patch for inspection that will provide both
> Allan> the option to resize bitmapped fonts and to enable/disable all
> Allan> font scaling (I just need to add another(!) lyxrc variable).
>
> Please make sure you understand how fonts work first. You comments
> make me fear that your patch could be less than ideal (which is an
> understatement). Keep in mind that the current code is working well,
> so a complete rewrite would probably just break everything.

Only minor mods really but I want to be sure I'm doing the right
things.  Current behaviour is just being extended to distinquish
between types of scalable fonts (outline ones and bitmapped ones).

The further discussion about dpi above only exists in emailed
electrons at present.

[...]
> PLEASE don't do that! We do certainly not need to have such ugly hacks.

I had to give you something to complain about for Friday :-)

Allan. (ARRae)