Allan Rae wrote:

>>to let the inset know what to do with the label I put all
>>information in the option part: before, after, label.
>>for example a line from a lyx file:
>>
>>\citet[<\before>also<\end_before><\after>Page
>>57ff<\end_after><\natbib>Bry and Afflerbach (1968)]{bry-afflerbach}
>>

> Can't you just generate the <natbib> part on the fly as it is read in?
> You know it is a \citet after all.

why is it a \citet? what about the others?

> That would mean we don't change
> the file format and you must already have the code to generate the

it's a question of philosopy to say that the fileformat changes,

\citexx[options]{key}

is the format and I don't change it. The insets decide what
goes to latex, docbook, ascii,...

 > <natbib> contents so it should be simple enough to arrange at load or
 > display time -- you could update the natbib string entry at inset
 > draw time and this wouldn't have that high a cost.

until there are no multiple options for insets, there is no
other way to handle natbibs "before" together with the "after"
and the label, than to use the option-field. The "before"
and "after" must be saved in the lyx file, with or without
natbib.

Herbert

--
http://www.lyx.org/help/