Angus> I have tested this patch pretty thoroughly myself and have
Angus> decided that it's only real shortcoming is that it results in
Angus> VERY slow loading of a buffer. This occurs because we reload
Angus> Buffer::getBibkeyList from any BibTeX files for each and every
Angus> citation key.

Angus> The real solution is for Buffer::getBibkeyList to reload the
Angus> BibTeX keys only when the BibTeX files change but, for now, a
Angus> working alternative is to cache the keys used by InsetCitation.

Angus> I have created a map<Buffer const *, bool> loading_buffer;
Angus> which is set to loading_buffer[buffer] = false; in
Angus> InsetCitation::edit().

Why did not you add a 'bool loading' member to Buffer? This seems
simpler. And maybe the cache could be part of the buffer too.