R. Lahaye wrote:
> Juergen Spitzmueller writes:
> > And how should LyX decide this?
>
> Don't know, but Angus wrote in
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel%40lists.lyx.org/msg39253.html :
>
>   "It is intended in that we call InsetCitation::validate to ascertain
>    whether we need a \usepackage{natbib}."
>
> So I understood that LyX can determine whether it needs natbib or not.
> If indeed so, there's no need to bother the user to select it manually.

Angus means that LyX inserts \usepackage{natbib} only if the user inserts a
citation. Normally natbib is only needed if you want to cite something
(except from some ERT-stuff that LyX can't handle yet - \nocite or \bibentry
with the bibentry package that comes with natbib).
But LyX can't decide if a user who uses citations and bibtex wants to use
natbib, too. He might want to use other author-year styles (harvard, apalike)
or numerical citation. The user has to (be able to) decide this himself.

Juergen.