Philipp> Hello, (sorry I didn't find where this is documented ...)

It is not.

Philipp> I'm used to applying lots of changes to my po/xx.po file
Philipp> before building lyx. But as with 1.2.0 the changes are
Philipp> ignored. It seems, the xx.gmo file provided with the source
Philipp> is used even if the xx.po file is changed. If the xx.gmo file
Philipp> is removed before building lyx, it is only recreated as a
Philipp> zero-length file by "touch".

Did you solve your problem now?

Philipp> Earlier versions didn't show this behaviour. Is this a bug or
Philipp> is there something about my System (Solaris 7, gcc 2.95.2,
Philipp> gmake)? Could someone tell me how to find information on
Philipp> making lyx.mo files?

I am really unable to explain why this could happen, unfortunately.