Who knows anything about it?

I've created the pipes as instructed in Customization.lyx Ch4.

Running with the LyXServer under Linux Alpha

aleem@thorax:aleem$ lyx -dbg lyxserver &
aleem@thorax:aleem$ Setting debug level to lyxserver
Debugging `lyxserver' (External control interface)
LyXComm: Opening connection
LyXComm: Connection established

aleem@thorax:aleem$ echo "LYXCMD:test:file-open:/home/aleem/file.lyx" >
/home/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.in

results in the file being opened. Hoorah.

Running with the LyXServer under Tru64 unix

aleem@pneumon:aleem-> lyx130 -dbg lyxserver&
LyXComm: Opening connection
LyXComm: Connection established
LyXComm: Receiving from fd 4
LyXComm: Closing connection
LyXComm: Opening connection
LyXComm: Connection established
LyXComm: Receiving from fd 4
LyXComm: Closing connection
LyXComm: Opening connection
LyXComm: Connection established
LyXComm: Receiving from fd 4
LyXComm: Closing connection
(a continual stream in fact)

aleem@pneumon:aleem-> echo
"LYXCMD:test:file-open:/usr/users/aleem/file.lyx" >
/usr/users/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.in

results in the file being opened. Hoorah again.

So, why's LyX going crazy and continually opening and closing the
connection under Tru64 unix? Is this something I should worry about?

Next question: I'm unable to activate the "Submit Command" button when
running monitor (development/lyxserver/server_monitor.c)

aleem@thorax:lyxserver$ ./monitor
monitor: Opening pipes [/home/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.in] and
[/home/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.out]
monitor: Opened 4 5
LyXComm: Receiving from fd 4

Note that I get no message back to say hello.

The weird thing is If I then enter at the command line:

aleem@thorax:lyxserver$ echo "LYXSRV:test:hello" >
/home/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.in

LyXComm: Receiving from fd 4
LyXComm: status:18, lsbuf:,
cmd:LYXSRV:monitor:helloLYXSRV:monitor:helloLYXSRV:test:hello
LyXServer: Received:
'LYXSRV:monitor:helloLYXSRV:monitor:helloLYXSRV:test:hello'LyXServer:
Client: 'monitor' Command: 'helloLYXSRV' Argument: ''
LyXServer: Undefined server command helloLYXSRV.

So I'm outputting stuff from monitor but it isn't getting flushed.

Thereafter, if I do it again

aleem@thorax:lyxserver$ echo "LYXSRV:test:hello" >
/home/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.in

aleem@thorax:lyxserver$ echo "LYXSRV:test:hello" >
/home/aleem/.lyx-1.3.0cvs/lyxpipe.in

LyXComm: Receiving from fd 4
LyXComm: status:18, lsbuf:, cmd:LYXSRV:test:hello
LyXServer: Received: 'LYXSRV:test:hello'
LyXServer: Client: 'test' Command: 'hello' Argument: ''
LyXServer: Greeting test
LyXComm: Sending 'LYXSRV:test:hello
'
monitor: Coming: LYXSRV:test:hello

monitor: LyX is listening!

And hey presto, the "Submit Command" button is activated. Thereafter
everything behaves as it should and I can oopen and close the buffer from
this "monitor" program to my heart's content.

Can anyone advise on either point?

Angus