As I rewrite my syllabus, I find a display error in lyx.  In the
attached document, the enumeration under "Course Methods and Learning"
displays the first element as 5, continuing the count from the previous
enumeration.  The postscript output is correct.

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of              X    and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer.           / \
#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 220
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\newfont {\web}{phvr at 9.0pt}
\newfont {\email}{pcrr at  10.0pt }
\end_preamble
\language english
\inputencoding default
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 0
\use_natbib 0
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Title

Principles of Microeconomics
\newline
Economics 2
\layout Date

Fall MMII
\layout Standard
\align center

\series bold
Syllabus
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
setlength{
\backslash
parskip}{0pt}
\end_inset

Professor Richard E.
 Hawkins
\layout Standard

178 Smeal
\layout Standard

375-4846
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard
{
\backslash
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]}
\end_inset

 Meeting Times: MWF 2:25-3:25, Auditorium
\layout Standard

Office hours:
\layout Itemize

MWF, 11:00-11:55, office (May be in Swift 103 on Wednesdays)
\layout Itemize

MW, 3:50-4:30, office
\layout Itemize

W, 9:00-9:55, office or Swift 103
\layout Itemize

and by appointment
\layout Section*

Course Materials
\layout Itemize

Game theory and other handouts including lecture slides
\layout Itemize

Text:
\emph on
Principles of Microeconomics, Second Edition,
\emph default
 N.
 Gregory Mankiw, ISBN
\begin_inset Marginal
collapsed false

\layout Standard

check isbn
\end_inset

\layout Itemize

The bookstore has copies of the companion study guide.
 A copy is also on reserve.
\layout Itemize

Author's website
\begin_inset Marginal
collapsed false

\layout Standard

check
\end_inset

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard
{
\backslash
web http://www.harcourtcollege.com/econ/mankiw}
\end_inset

\begin_deeper
\layout Standard

A wide variety of materials are available here, and the ambitious student
 will make use of them.
\layout Standard

The materials include interactive quizzes, which are a way for students
 to check comprehension of the material and determine which areas need more
 study.
 There are also tutorials on most topics, and sample-tests.
 Do not email the instructor copies of your interactive quizzes unless you
 have been personally told otherwise!
\end_deeper
\layout Itemize

Instructor's website
\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard
{
\backslash
web http://www.personal.psu.edu/reh18/micro}
\end_inset

 .
 Copies of class materials can frequently be found here, as can the syllabus
 and a short description of each day's class.

\layout Itemize

A mailing list will be created for the class in the near future.
 Subscription to the list is mandatory, and student's will be responsible
 for information sent to the list by the instructor.
\layout Itemize

A copy of the text is on reserve, as well as other microeconomic texts and
 solution guides.
\layout Standard

Note that it is likely that test and homework questions will be drawn from
 the supplemental materials.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
pagebreak
\end_inset

\layout Section*

Course Description and Goals
\layout Standard

Economics is the study of choices.
 Particularly, we study choices in the face of scarcity, where something
 else is given up as a consequence of a choice (such as lost income when
 going to school).
 We consider how consumers and producers make such choices, and how these
 determine price and quantity as seen in the market.
 We will also consider what happens when the government or other agents
 interfere with the normal process of making choices.
\layout Standard

By the time you finish this course, you will understand the processes that
 are commonly known as supply and demand, as well as common fallacies about
 them.
 You will be able to apply these to the real world, and understand what
 is going on behind the scenes when economic news is reported--and recognize
 that it is frequently misreported!
\layout Section*

Course Objectives
\layout Standard

A wide variety of topics will be covered, but you should be able to find
 common things throughout them.
 In particular, upon completing this course, students should understand
 and be able to explain the following questions, and comment on common arguments
 associated with them:
\layout Enumerate

What is a
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

competitive market,
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 and how are prices and quantity determined in such a market.
 Along this vein, why do such markets give economists a warm fuzzy feeling
 inside, and what advantages and disadvantages do they create for society?
\layout Enumerate

What possibilities exist for other types of markets, and and how are prices
 and quantity determined in these markets? What about these markets makes
 economists' hair bristle, and what advantages and disadvantages do they
 create for society? What conditions produce these markets rather than competiti
ve markets, and is there a role for the government?
\layout Enumerate

How do consumers make their choices? For that matter, what kind of choices
 do consumers make, and what is the real cost of any choice? How do their
 choices interrelate?
\layout Enumerate

How do firms choose how much and whether or not to produce? How do firms
 interact with each other, and what does this mean for society?
\layout Section*

Course Methods and Learning
\layout Standard

The bottom line is that I want you to learn.
 I really don't care about your ability to recite data; you need to be able
 to think and apply the concepts, and translate these into results.
 High test grades will come not from recitation, but by showing an ability
 to analyze and apply economic theory.
\layout Standard

We have three hours a week together, and there are many different ways that
 we could use this time.
 I could stand in front of you and talk for the entire time, while writing
 things on the board that you scribble into your notes--without either one
 of us thinking about them in the process.
 This doesn't seem to be a particularly useful activity.
\layout Standard

Fortunately, you all can read.
 In fact, this is why you have a textbook.
 The traditional pure lecture system dates to a time long ago when books
 were rare and expensive, and lecture notes were the only practical way
 for students to get a copy of course materials.
 The printing press, photocopier, and internet have ended this time.
\layout Standard

It will be
\emph on
your
\emph default
 responsibility to read the book.
 At times I may mention sections of chapters to skip, but unless otherwise
 notified, you should read the entire chapter.

\emph on
You,
\emph default
 not I, am responsible for doing this.
 Furthermore, you will benefit most by reading before class.
\layout Standard

I will not entirely eliminate lecture; neither I nor most students would
 be comfortable with this.
 I will still lecture, at least briefly, on some of the core concepts and
 on the harder portions of the material.
 I will come to class with my own notions of what these are, but at times
 you will have a different notion.
 Tell me.
 I will be more than happy to cover other areas.
 Please do not hesitate to ask questions; these are not disruptive or rude,
 but the primary reason to have a live professor in front of the class instead
 of a videotape.
\layout Standard

We achieve three important goals by not spending the entire class time on
 lectures:
\layout Enumerate

We don't bore you.
\layout Standard

You will benefit most by reading the entire chapter first, attending class,
 and reading again.

\layout Standard

Portions of the course will be covered by traditional lecture methods.
 However, many times class time can be used more productively.
 As such, many of the group projects will be geared to designing formal
 games and other class activities.
\layout Standard

It is the student's responsibility to read the book.
 Some key points, but not all the material, will be covered in lecture.
 Nonetheless, students are responsible for all material, and should bring
 up any matters with which they still have questions.

\begin_inset Marginal
collapsed false

\layout Standard

ugh!
\end_inset

\layout Enumerate

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
clearpage
\end_inset

\layout Section*

Course Outline
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 0: Game Theory
\layout Standard

August 28 and 30.
\layout Standard

Game theory has become significant for many areas of microeconomics, both
 for theoretical and applied reasons.
 The first week of class will be spent discussing game theory and playing
 out of games.
 We will use this as a tool to build explanations of many other topics throughou
t the semester.
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 1: Introduction
\layout Standard

September 4-16.
\layout Standard

Here we will discuss some basic principles that we will use through the
 course.
 We will also consider the scientific method and how it relates to economics,
 the difference between positive and normative economics, and take a first
 look at trade.
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 2: How Markets Work
\layout Standard

September 18-30
\layout Standard

We will make an initial exploration of supply and demand, and how they interact.
 We will consider the concept of
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

elasticity,
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 which is an analytic method of measuring
\emph on
how much
\emph default
 something changes in response to another change.
 Finally, we make an initial exploration of how government policies may
 help or harm the market, and consider why it is usually harm.
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 3: Markets and Welfare
\layout Standard

October 2-16
\layout Standard

The various agents--consumers, producers, and the government--interact in
 various ways.
 Different choices by any of these agents change the amount that is produced,
 and who gets the goodies.
 Government taxation will often not have the expected effect, and may at
 times be counter productive.

\layout Subsubsection*

Part 7: Theory of Consume Choice
\layout Standard

October 18-23
\layout Standard

We look at more advanced topics in how a consumer chooses, such as budget
 constraints and substitution and income effects.
 We then return to the regular sequence of chapters.
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 4: Public Sector Economics
\layout Standard

October 25-November 6
\layout Standard

Not all markets function cleanly.
 If I raise pigs in my back yard, I get all the bacon, but you have to live
 with the smell.
 If we share a tree on our border, we're both likely to pick too much fruit.
 Can the government deal with this type of problem? We also consider side
 effects of the tax system on other activities.
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 5: Firm Behavior and Organization of Industry
\layout Standard

November 8-December 2
\layout Standard

The core of firm behavior.
 After looking at firm costs, we look at what a firm will do in a competitive
 market.
 From there, we we consider what happens as various assumptions we made
 in evaluating the competitive market are broken.
 Winners and losers are evaluated, as well as the cost to society.
 Antitrust policy and enforcement is also discussed.
\layout Subsubsection*

Part 6: Labor Markets
\layout Standard

Dec.
 4-Dec 20
\layout Standard

Wages and working conditions don't exist in a vacuum; rather, there is a
 market for labor, in which the worker sells.
 Starting with a competitive market for labor and other factors of production,
 we consider the effects of labor unions, discrimination, and poverty, along
 with governmental attempts to deal with these issues.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
clearpage
\end_inset

\layout Section*

Grading
\layout Subsection*

Quizzes and Final
\layout Standard

There will be approximately seven regular twenty point quizzes, and a cumulative
 final worth 100 points.
 The lowest regular quiz taken will be dropped (missed quizzes are not dropped).
 Quizzes will generally occur approximately every other week, be announced
 ahead of time, and cover two chapters for twenty points.
 Generally, Calculators are not permitted on quizzes or tests.
 Unannounced quizzes are possible.

\layout Subsection*

Group Assignments`
\layout Standard

There will be periodic group assignments.
 Students will work in groups of three or four, and maintain the same group
 all semester.

\layout Subsection*

Points in Class
\layout Standard

Student involvement in class discussion is critical to the learning process.
 This is not material that can simply be memorized; the student must be
 able to apply the concepts, and it is critical that students take an active
 role in doing so.
 Points will be regularly awarded in class, counting toward thirty points
 of the class grade.
 Additionally, there are an additional six points available from other means:
 one point each for a question or comment during office hours during September
 or October, and another for an office question or comment in November or
 December, along with one point each for participating in each of the four

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

feedback sessions
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\begin_inset Marginal
collapsed false

\layout Standard

what do we call these
\end_inset

throughout the semester.
 Additional points may be possible for participating in focus groups throughout
 the semester.
\layout Standard

The six outside points are sufficient for a
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 in this category.
 A total of sixteen points is necessary for an
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

.
 Points beyond that will cause the
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 to carry an increased weight in the student's grade, although the instructor
 reserves the right to limit the number of such points included.
 More specifically, this portion of the grade is calculated as
\begin_inset Formula $47+3\times \textrm{points}$
\end_inset

.
\layout Subsection*

Peer Evaluation
\layout Standard

At the end of the semester, each student will evaluate the other members
 of his group regarding contribution to the group and quality of work within
 the group.
 Each student will rank the other members, and assess relative values.
 Ranking the other members equally will not be permitted.
 The score will be a modified version of the student's laboratory average,
 and worth approximately the same amount as a large lab.
  Please not that since the point is to adjust all of the lab assignments
 based upon group contribution, this score is not limited by the normal
 55 to 95 range.
\layout Subsection*

Raw and Scaled Scores
\layout Standard

Assignments will have both raw and scaled scores.
  The raw score is simply a total of the number of points answered correctly.
  The scaled score, which is used to compute the course grade,  is based
 on this raw score and the overall quality of the assignment.
 Scaled scores are on a 55-95 scale, with a 55 representing an "F", while
 a 95 represents an "A".

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

+
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 and
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

-
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 are indicated by a change of 3; e.g., a
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

B-
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 is an 82.
 It is entirely possible, and indeed common, that an assignment or quiz
 which showed a better understanding of the material will receive a higher
 scaled score than another assignment with the same (or even slightly higher)
 raw score.
   Please note that this is almost always because the overall quality of
 work on the assignment showed a higher level of understanding than the
 raw score indicates, rather than that the students received different grades
 for similar work.
\layout Subsection*

Class Grade
\layout Standard

The class grade will be based upon a weighted average of the quiz grades
 (including bonus quizzes) and the final grade and any other graded activities.
 The quizzes will be worth approximately 60%, and the final approximately
 40%, though other activities could change this distribution.
\layout Standard

Tentative grades will be posted from time to time throughout the semester.
 The lowest quiz will not be dropped from such calculations until five quizzes
 have been completed.
 These grades are advisory only.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
pagebreak
\end_inset

\layout Section*

Preparation
\layout Standard

Students are required to be prepared for class.
 The class material should be read prior to class.
 As the pace of material will be approximately a chapter a week, at least
 the first two-thirds of the chapter should be read prior to the first class
 in which it will be discussed, and the rest prior to the second class.
 Students who read the chapter prior to class are likely to find that they
 learn substantially more from the lecture.
 Large numbers of unprepared students are likely to provoke unscheduled
 quizzes.
\layout Subsection*

Homework
\layout Standard

Homework questions will be distributed for most topics.
 The homework is not graded, but completion of the homework is likely to
 improve performance on tests.
 A portion of the homework questions will typically be worked out in class,
 and solutions will be distributed.
\layout Section*

Missing Classes and Tests
\layout Standard

It is the student's responsibility to be in class,
\emph on
on time,
\emph default
 especially for all tests and quizzes.
 An excused absence requires notice
\emph on
at least
\emph default
 one-half hour prior to the beginning of class, is at the instructor's discretio
n, and will generally only be granted for serious illness and university
 sanctioned activities.
 Whether or not a make-up test will be used, or whether other testing will
 receive additional weight, will be at the discretion of the instructor.
 For unexcused absences, a grade of 0 will result in all cases.
 Traveling for a holiday is not an excused absence.
\layout Standard

Please note that by a single phone call to the registrar (375-4722) or school
 nurse (375-4765), it is possible to inform all of your instructors of your
 illness or other incapacity.
 As such, informing the instructor after the missed class of the need for
 an absence will not be accepted.
\layout Section*

Topics
\layout Standard

Chapters one through ten; eleven (pp.
 243-251 only), twelve, and fourteen (pp.
 316-324); and fifteen and seventeen will be covered.
 If time permits, other chapters will be covered, which will be determined
 by student interest.
\layout Section*

Tutors
\layout Standard

Students are strongly advised to use the Learning Center in the Swift building.
\layout Section*

Academic Integrity
\layout Standard

All students are expected to act with civility and personal integrity; respect
 other students' dignity, rights, and property; an to help create and maintain
 an environment in which all can succeed through the fruits of their own
 efforts.
 An environment of academic integrity is requisite to respect for self and
 others and a civil community.
\layout Standard

Academic integrity includes a commitment to not engage in or tolerate acts
 of falsification, misrepresentation or deception.
 Such acts of dishonesty include cheating or copying, plagiarizing, submitting
 another person's work as one's own, using Internet or other sources without
 citation, ghosting (taking an exam for another student or having another
 student take one's exam), stealing examinations, tampering with the academic
 work of another student, facilitating acts of academic dishonesty, etc.
\layout Standard

Academic dishonesty violates the fundamental ethical principles of the Universit
y community and compromises the worth of work completed by others.
 A student should avoid academic dishonesty when preparing work for any
 class.
 If charged with academic dishonesty, students will receive written or oral
 notice of the charge by the instructor.
 Students who contest the charge should first seek resolution through discussion
 with the faculty member or the campus Director of Academic Affairs.
 If the matter is not resolved, the student may request a hearing with the
 Commonwealth College Committee on Academic Integrity at the Campus.
\layout Standard

Sanctions for breaches of academic integrity may range (depending on the
 severity of the offense) from F for the assignment to F for the course.
 In sever cases of academic dishonesty, including, but not limited to, stealing
 exams or
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

ghosting
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 an exam, students may receive a grade of a, a formal University disciplinary
 sanction that indicates on the student's transcript that failure in the
 course was due to a serious act of academic dishonesty.
 In this class, the XF sanction will be requested for
\emph on
any
\emph default
 dishonesty during a test, including failure to cease working on a test
 when time is called.
\layout Standard

The University's statement on academic integrity from which the above statement
 was drawn is available at
\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
web{http://www.psu.edu/dept/oue/aappm/G-9.html}
\end_inset

.
\layout Section*

Email
\layout Standard

You are responsible for receiving any course information to your university
 account.
 It is your responsibility to receive this mail in a timely fashion.
\layout Standard

Please note that the
\emph on
only
\emph default
 correct format for email is plain text, possibly with attachments.

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

HTML
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 formatting is not appropriate, nor is sending
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

MIME
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 email with both HTML and plain text.
 It is your responsibility to understand your mail client well enough to
 send properly.
 Sending HTML mail, or mail with non-standard characters is simply rude.
\layout Standard

Please note that the instructor's mail is filtered for mail of this sort--if
 you send it, it
\emph on
does not exist
\emph default
 for purposes of this class, and will never end up anywhere where it will
 be read!
\layout Section*

Classroom Civility
\layout Standard

Respectful behavior in the classroom to both other students and the faculty
 is critical for a healthy learning environment.
 Chattering, cracking gum, turning to the person behind you for conversation,
 gentlemen wearing hats indoors (unless under arms or religiously mandated)
 and the like are rude, uncivil, and anti-social.

\layout Standard

Certainly no student would be so disrespectful of other students and the
 instructor as to possess a cellular phone or pager capable of making noise
 during class, short of emergencies such as organ transplants or hospitalized
 children.
 Even were someone to be that inconsiderate, the fact that the device would
 be confiscated, along with the student being barred from the classroom
 until such time as the student, the Director of Academic Affairs, and the
 instructor are able to meet in person and establish appropriate conditions
 for a probationary return to the classroom and possible return of the device,
 will certainly prevent such rudeness.
\layout Standard

By remaining enrolled in the class and present in the room, you consent
 to the instructor throwing erasers, chalk, pens, and other items in response
 to uncivil and/or inattentive behavior, the confiscation of electronic
 or other devices that disrupt the classroom, as well as the instructor
 and/or classmates knocking offending hats from your head.
\layout Section*

Syllabus Subject to Change
\layout Standard

In accordance with Penn State academic policies, this syllabus is subject
 to change.
 Changes will either be distributed in writing or posted on the class website.
\layout Section*

Important Dates
\layout Itemize

Wednesday, August 28: first day of class.
\layout Itemize

Sunday, August 30: add-drop deadline
\layout Itemize

Friday, September 13: first quiz
\layout Itemize

October 8-9: Fall Break
\layout Itemize

Wednesday, November 14: Late drop deadline
\layout Itemize

November 22-23: Thanksgiving Holiday
\layout Itemize

Thursday, April 26: last class
\layout Itemize

Friday, December 7: withdrawal deadline.
\layout Itemize

Wednesday, December 12: Final, 2:30-4:20 P.M.
 (tentative)
\the_end