José Abílio Oliveira Matos wrote:
>   This shows that python wasn't properly installed.

Yes, I suspected this too.

> > juergen@eddy:~> python -V
> > Python 2.0
>
>   Just for backward compatibility I am using python 1.5.2

Actually, it should be python 2.1. See below.

> > juergen@eddy:~> getopt --version
> > getopt (enhanced) 1.1.2
>
>   I have this too. So the problem appears to be in the python installation.
> IIRC you are using suse, which version?
>   Where does the python package comes from?

SuSE 7.3 (python 2.1). I discovered that there was a second (incomplete?)
python version installed (hell knows why). After deleting that, lyx2lyx
imports my 1.2.x files.

A remaining issue on opening a new file is:

"Cannot open ~/.lyx/templates/defaults.lyx"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/juergen/lyx-qt/lib/lyx2lyx/lyx2lyx", line 180, in ?
    main(sys.argv)
  File "/home/juergen/lyx-qt/lib/lyx2lyx/lyx2lyx", line 157, in main
    parse_options(argv)
  File "/home/juergen/lyx-qt/lib/lyx2lyx/lyx2lyx", line 99, in parse_options
    opt.input = open(args[0])
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/home/juergen/uni/promotion/newfile3.lyx'

(newfile3.lyx does indeed not exist, but I want a new file)

Many thanks,
Jürgen.