Nirmal> I just applied the patch and recompiled.. it still crashes..
Nirmal> as soon as I try to view the DVI...
>>  I do not see this? Do you have an example (and maybe a backtrace?)
>>
>> JMarc

Nirmal> I tried starting gdb on the existing lyx process.. once gdb
Nirmal> attaches itself to lyx, the lyx window freezes and nothing
Nirmal> more can be done.. so here is the backtrace even before I got
Nirmal> to the xfig part (looks like some xforms problem):

Can't you try to start lyx directly under gdb?

Something like

% gdb ./lyx
(gdb) run
[crash...]
(gdb) bt

Or maybe I do not understand what your problem is? Another thing you
can try is to run lyx under valgrind.