John Levon wrote:
> but now they can't see which borders are actually set, regardless of
> whether they can change them. A minor thing ...

It is only inside a multicolumn. And there is no border to set/unset in the
cases the widget is disabled (apart from column borders which can be toggled
from inside a non-multicolumn cell).
So, without my color change, you would never ever see the grey color, because
it is always unset. I still prefer grey (= no border) as a visual hint to the
ambivalent white (= unset border). But that's subjective.

> > I have also managed to fix the setborder update problem (a repaint() call
> > was needed)
>
> I think this is wrong, perhaps qsetborder should be calling update() on
> itself. Explicit repaints shouldn't be needed...

I don't know. I have found this on qt-interest as a hint for similar cases. I
have tried a lot of update() and other stuff, neither worked.
OTOH, I still do strictly trial and error coding.

Jürgen