On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:26:59AM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Andre> I'd rather make .lyx gzipped by default. Doesn't Staroffice do
> Andre> something similar?

> We could have both the plain .lyx format and a compressed .lyz format.

> Or use the plain old .lyx.gz.

> We could also do what emacs does: if the file is already compressed,
> uncompress it and compress it back on saving. If it is not compressed,
> leve it alone.

This seems to make the most sense.  Plain text storage that can survive
user error and disk failure is a strentgth of lyx.

Also, bz2 compression can handle losing bits out of the middle, unlike
gzip.

> Andre> This is an extra burden for people like me who regularly do
> Andre> search&replace in the .lyx file itself, but I'd guess that's
> Andre> the minority.

> I would not be so sure about that.

I assumed we were the overwhelming majority :)

There's too many things you just can't do with lyx that need vi on the
lyx file.

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail