I think I've been through this before . . .

In the article class, the table of contents uses no leading dots for the
sections, but it does for the subsections.  My text, in book class, uses
them for all levels.

I don't see any ert setting this in either, or any preamble magic, and I
can't find anything in the menus that seems to do it.
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail