According to the current README I've removed XForms 0.89.6
    and tried to use XForms 1.0 and/or Qt!

A new Cygwin release with a new gcc 3.2 compiler. The new xforms 1.0 as well
as the new choice to use the Qt frontend and the new lyx 1.3.0 sources: Too
much changes in a too short time 8((

Since Friday afternoon I'd compiled the lyx sources more then 3 times a day
looking for a combination of a compiler and a gui frontend that could be
used to build a new usable lyx executable.... Anyway - I'm now preparing the
tarballs and hopefully this afternoon will release LyX 1.3.0 for Win32 :-)

What went wrong?

1) New Cygwin runs autoconf 2.57 which isn't supported in autogen.sh (There
was a topic in lyx-devel concerning that, too). A change in line 22 did it:
    -    *2.5[2346])
    +    *2.5[23467])

2) autogen.sh's output was:
    cp config/relyx_configure.ac: No such file
    Generating acinclude.m4 ... cat: pkg.m4: No such file

Any idea? It seems that we don't have to care about it because ./configure
was okay.

3) config/libtool.m4: Using libtool (created with that m4 file) the file
impgen.c will be created nearly before linking the executable lyx. To create
impgen.c sed is told to remove all leading '# ' combinations. Unfortenately
there are a few lines starting with '#<tab>'. Those lines of course will
produce syntax errors in a C/C++ file!

4) Linking lyx using Xforms 1.0 does produce a lot of unresolved errors to
    fl_flget4MSBF
    fl_flget4LSBF
    fl_flget2LSBF
    fl_readpint
All errors are told to be in functions located in libflimage.a. nm shows the
missing entries to be in libforms.a. The link command includes
    ... -lforms -lflimage ....
Changing tthe order into
    ... -lflimage -lforms ....
was successfull! (I'll check that with my Linux libraries because it is
strange to change the order if it does run on other systems)

Here some remarks for those interested:
=======================================
Xforms 1.0 does not compile using gcc 3.2.1 or gcc 2.95.3-5 (taken from the
old Cygwin 1.3.12 release). Compilation has to be done using the current
gcc-2 package, i.e. gcc 2.95.3-10 !!

Using Qt-2 and gcc 2.95.3-10 linking the lyx executable failed to some
strange unresolved errors. (Maybe another gcc or another library order will
do the trick, too)

Using Qt-3 and gcc 3.2.1 failed. Obviously those libs were build using gcc
2.95.3-10 because using that compiler all went well!
=======================================

Now LyX using XForms 1.0 has proofed to be usable on Win32. I have'nt found
any topic that is not working as before. (I'll releasing that today!)

LyX using Qt-3 looks very different but it's running now, too. But I
recognized that LyX did not run configure automatically when called the
first time. Therefore opening a math box with M-m m produces an error
message, telling me that any fonts are missing (xset was called in the
background). After restarting Lyx math fonts are usable.

Embedded eps-images cannot be viewed inside Lyx with Qt-3. Anything went
wrong trying to convert them from eps to xpm! (Using the Xforms-Lyx eps
images will be converted into ppm format w/o any error)

Screen fonts with Qt3 seems to be half in size compared to Lyx/XForms? Is
that correct or am I missing anything? What about those latex-ttf-fonts? Are
they usable on Win32?

So long ...
Claus

P.S.: Please use my e-mail address for responses!