adi> c) Some of ERT commands do not work with lyx but work fine if the
adi> file is converted first to latex [see b) above]. For example the
adi> following lyx code:
[...]
adi> The output if viewed in lyx is different compared with the case
adi> when the file is converted first to latex. In lyx the caption is
adi> NOT centered (although it should), while in latex->dvi the
adi> caption IS centered.

It is not possible to force a caption to be centered in LaTeX. In the
standard classes at least the caption is centered when it is short,
and bolck-justified if it is longer than one line (I think). LyX
cannot really reproduce that one screen (yes, we are lazy), so what
you get on screen may be different from the paper output.

Moreover, ther is no need to use ERT to produce centering, AFAIK. Have
a look at Layout->Paragraph.