On Monday 10 March 2003 12:13 pm, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:53:30AM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote:
> > That's what I have now. I think of class Dialogs as part of the lyx
> > kernel and it is this that stores the InsetBase* in just such a map. The
> > dialogs themselves derive from class Dialog (note, no 's'). I think of
> > them as separate from the lyx kernel and they know nothing about these
> > pointers or, indeed, whether they are 'connected' to anything at all.
>
> Ok. I did not know where you draw the line between kernel and gui.

;-) I draw this distinction because I can imagine the hypothetical situation
when class Dialogs is simply an interface to a lyxserver pair of pipes. The
thing on the other end should have no idea about anything other than the
string it is to manipulate.

Ditto, class Kernel in frontends/controllers could also be turned into an
interface to a lyxserver pair of pipes receiving/returning this info,
although I haven't proceeded with any seriousness down this line.

I'm not suggesting actually creating a separate process to run the dialogs,
but it does help clarify the rationale.

> With this explanation it sounds sensible.

You mean that things are in a 'reasonable' state as we stand? Good.
Angus