I attach my changes to the external inset and dialogs. I think that it is
pretty close to finished. Please feel free to try it out. Note that there
is a file format change so don't save any important docs with it.

Note that the default is NoDisplay meaning that you'll get a button
        [ Xfig: file.fig ]
Click on the inset to pop up the dialog to change that.

The next step will be to remove the parameters variable from the
InsetExternal::Params struct. I'll take the opportunity then to rewrite the
InsetExternal::Read and Write methods to be less clunky. (Ie, Read will use
lyxlex properly.) At the moment the external inset is written as

\begin_inset External RasterImage,"taulogo.png",""

where the last field is the (effectively redundant) params variable.

The patch changes this to

\begin_inset External RasterImage,"taulogo.png","",<displayType>,<lyxscale>

which is still clunky. After this patch is applied I'll change it to
something more like the Graphics Inset:

\begin_inset External
        template RasterImage
        filename taulogo.png
        lyxscale 80
        display color

These last two will be output only if different from the default 100 and
NoDisplay respectively.

Attached are two files.
external.diff.gz contains the changes to the LyX source.
external.tar.gz will expand to a directory External containing a small lyx
document to test out the external inset with.

If nobody says otherwise, I'll probably apply what I have sometime
tomorrow...

--
Angus