Angus> So, the challenge is to re-introduce the ability to break the
Angus> line before and/or after the inset without adding lots of code
Angus> in lots of different places in the core.

As I say in the next message, the isNewline method seems to do that
already for breakRowAfter. We could maybe instroduce

// this needs some bound checking to be safe...
bool Paragraph::breakRowAfter(pos_type pos) const
{
        return ((IsInsetChar(getChar(pos))
                 && getInset(pos)->breakRowAfter())
                 || (IsInsetChar(getChar(pos + 1))
                 && getInset(pos + 1)->breakRowBefore() ;
}

and basically use that instead of Paragraph::isNewline (well, not
everywhere, probably). This method would tell us whether a break
should occur after point, either because of the inset before point or
the inset after point.

Would that give us enough encapsulation?