Martin> Perhaps... but I don't see any straightforward way to do that.
Martin> display() actually does a lot more: prevent stretching in
Martin> block mode of the *previous* line, where isNewline() prevents
Martin> stretching of *its own line*.

Hmm, maybe you are right, the stretching is not handled in the same
way.

Martin> I looked a bit at this, but I don't see how to do it and make
Martin> things actually simpler. isNewline() is called in a lot of
Martin> places... I wonder why.

This is what worries me.

Martin> But I am reluctant to touch it in this context.

I can understand that...